Welcome to the Housing Commission of Anne Arundel County…We are located in central Maryland just south of Baltimore and east of Washington, DC on the banks of the beautiful Chesapeake Bay! The Commission is dedicated to strengthening communities and improving the lives of Anne Arundel County citizens focusing on the ownership, management, sustainability and preservation of affordable housing. Established in 1968, the Housing Commission is proud to have offered 50 years of affordable housing and related services to low and moderate income citizens of Anne Arundel County. The agency currently provides assistance to nearly 3,000 families throughout the county in effort to fulfill our mission to provide quality housing choices and affordable communities.
The Metamorphosis of our Portfolio:
The HERITAGE Brand
The Housing Commission will complete enhancements, upgrades and renovations at all of our public housing communities 2018-2023.
Utilizing the Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) Program, the agency will convert all of it’s public housing communities to project based rental assistance. Acting as Developer, the agency has partnered with consultants, architecture and engineering firms and investors to complete all of the enhancements. Currently, Meade Village is projected to add 24 new market rate units; Freetown Village is projected to ad 36 new market rate units; creating communities with greater income diversity. Work at these communities is expected to commence in 2018! Pinewood Village, Pinewood East, Glen Square and Stoney Hill (housing our elderly and disabled) will experience significant upgrades to units, common areas and systems. Financing Plans for these communities are expected to be completed in 2020 for renovations to begin later that year through 2023. Each community will undergo a rebrand also under the Heritage umbrella, with new names and color schemes to identify them!
HOURS OF OPERATION:
Monday – Friday, 8 AM – 4:30 PM
Main Contact Phone Number – 410-222-6200
Please note that all offices will be CLOSED on the following dates:
Monday, January 21, 2019 – * – Monday, February 18, 2019 – * – Monday, May 27, 2019 – * – Thursday, July 4, 2019
Friday, July 5, 2019 – * – Monday, September 2, 2019 – * – Thursday and Friday, November 28 and 29, 2019
Wednesday, December 25, 2019 through Wednesday, January 1, 2020
- IMPORTANT NEWS!!
- Grand Re-Opening for Freetown Village Redevelopment celebrated The Housing Commission dramatically renovates 154 and adds 36 new units of quality affordable housing to Anne Arundel County inventory State and local officials celebrated the opening of Freetown Village, new units and redevelopment of the community. The development was achieved through collaboration and partnerships with HCAAC. Speakers at the event included Clifton C. Martin, III, CEO, HCAAC; Michael Hale, Director of Modernization, HCAAC; John Maneval, Department of Housing & Community Development; Steuart Pittman, County Executive, Anne Arundel County; Danny Boyd, Chairman, Board of Commissioners, HCAAC. Existing renovations were completed in 154 townhouses and apartments, including energy efficient systems, upgraded kitchens and bathrooms and new flooring and windows. Freetown Village also adds 36 affordable apartments serving individuals and families. The development includes new, two and three-bedroom apartments in a balanced mix of garden apartments. All apartments in the community are affordable to households between 15% and 80% AMI, with 154 of the units supported with Project-Based Housing Choice vouchers from HCAAC. In addition, 10% of the units are accessible and are reserved for persons with disabilities. “As part of our ongoing vision and mission, the Board of Commissioners, staff and partners are excited to complete the Project and thank all involved for their help. Most importantly, we appreciate our residents patience and support during this transition.” Clifton C. Martin, III, CEO, HCAAC. Freetown Village also includes an approximately 5,000 square foot community building with a management office, leasing office, maintenance space and community services. The community building includes separate, dedicated space for the Boys & Girls Clubs of Anne Arundel County, and an on-site Head Start Center, which provides learning and enrichment activities to benefit children in the community. The community is certified under the National Green Building Standard and Energy Star for New Homes and includes a new playground and green space for enjoyment by residents. The project was funded through 4% Low Income Housing Tax Credits from the State of Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development, syndicated by Royal Bank of Canada and BB&T, and HOME funds from Arundel Community Development Services.
- ****NOTICE OF BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS MEETING***** There is NO October meeting of the Board of Commissioners. The next meeting is scheduled for Monday, November 18th, at 11:00 AM ET. NOTE: The Board reserves the right to invoke the Open Meeting Act Provisions to close a meeting under Article 3-305(b). THERE WILL ALSO BE A MEETING OF THE HOUSING CORPORATION BOARD OF DIRECTORS IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THE HOUSING COMMISSION MEETING. **MEETINGS WILL BE HELD AT 7477 BALTIMORE-ANNAPOLIS BLVD, GLEN BURNIE, MD 20161 – 3RD FLOOR.**
- ->RECENTLY THE ASSOCIATED PRESS REPORTED THAT MARYLAND PUBLIC HOUSING COMMUNITIES SCORED LOWEST IN THE NATION ON INSPECTIONS! Please note that our communities over the past 7 years have received an average inspection score of 87%; scoring as high as 94% some years. HCAAC never failed an inspection during this period.
- ->HOUSING COMMISSION RECEIVES 2018 NAHRO AWARD for the CHOICES program! The program supplements the Family Self Sufficiency Program by helping program families with GED preparation and testing, tuition and college needs, and other education and career services.
- ->EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2014 THE HOUSING CHOICE VOUCHER WAITING LIST CLOSED – NO NEW APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED THEREAFTER!!
- ->FREETOWN VILLAGE RAD CONVERSION AND RENOVATIONS BEGIN IN JUNE 2018. The community converted from public housing to project based assistance and under this public/private partnership will see the renovation of 154 existing units and the addition of 36 new apartments by the Summer of 2019. See more information on the Resident Info tab, under Rental Assistance Demonstration.
- ->The Housing Commission receives HIGH PERFORMER AWARD for FY 2014 through 2018 under HUD’s Section Eight Management Assessment Program! Congratulations to the staff, owners and program recipients!